Eternit History. From idea to Worldwide success.
In 1894, Ludwig Hatschek had the idea for a product that would change the construction industry. He began working on a construction material that would be lighter than brick, less expensive than slate and better than matal sheet. A special combination of fibers, cement, pulp, air and water provided him with his breakthrough in 1900. He called the world's first industrially created construction material "Eternit" (derived from the Latin term "aeternus", which means "eternal"). The material quickly found adherents thanks to the special physical construction characteristics of the Eternit products, such as: frost resistance, incombustibility and wide range of possible applications.
The First Worldwide Industrially Manufactured Material - Created in Austria for the Entire World.
In June of 1901 Ludwig Hatschek applied for a patent on his production procedure. The pioneer quickly gained world reputation and international success. As early as 1903, factories existed in numerous European countries, in Russia and overseas and Ludwig Hatschek's discovery continues to be used in today's world.
Construction boom" in the sixties contributed to the construction of numerous buildings with the signature "Eternit", which from the pure construction material became cult material. Eternit's success story is witnessed by many world-famous objects all over the world.
The story of Eternit in Slovenia
The story of the cement in the Slovenian village Anhovo, located near the Soča river and the Italian border, began about a hundred years ago, when Ivan Nibrant discovered unknown powder with exceptional binding properties. Contemporarily the entrepreneur from Split Emil Stock built a cement plant in Anhovo. Production of asbestos cement sheets and pipes started in 1921. During the same period in Austria, Italy, France, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Czech Republic, Croatia and elsewhere in Europe, America and in the Middle East there haves already operated several factories with this kind of production. Moreover, this raw material had been applied also for other products in Slovenia and abroad.
In the sixties, the cement plant named Cement Anhovo (since 1967 Salonit Anhovo d.d.) has developed into an industrial giant. In the early eighties, the factory employed 2.600 people, who annually produced around 1 million tons of cement and asbestos-cement products. The average annual production of asbestos sheets and pipes amounted to around 130,000 tonnes. The majority of the products, about 80% were sold in export markets and in the republics of the Ex Yugoslavia. The factory provided regular incomes, scholarships and apartmentsa for the employees and in general enriched the social life in the area.
At the end of 1996, Salonit Anhovo stopped the production of all asbestos cement products in acordance with the Act of prohibition of production of asbestos cement products. In 1998 a new environment-friendly production of fiber-cement products started in the company Esal d.o.o. (now Eternit Slovenija d.o.o.).
From 2014 the company is 100% owned by the Swiss and from beginning of 2016 operates within the Swisspearl Group AG.
Connection with a Group and renaming in Eternit Slovenija d.o.o.
Trademark Eternit represents a traditional brand with a high degree of recognition.
The distinctive writting of its logo has been processed several times and has been used in different colours since the beginning of the 30s of last century. The company Eternit Slovenija d.o.o is proud to be closely linked with the name Eternit since its foundation.
The company was renamed Eternit Slovenija d.o.o. at the beginning of March 2017. With this change, the company wanted to strengthen their cooperation within the group, while enhancing the recognition on the Slovenian and international markets, as 'Eternit' is known as the trademark for modern and durable material – fibre-cement.